Thursday, November 6, 2008

THE ELECTION

We have a new president elect, there is dancing in the streets and celebrating around the world.

President Elect Obama was not my choice, however as an American I will support and respect him as our country's leader.

He had some great things to say in his acceptance speech.

*A new dawn of American leadership is at hand,

* To those who would tear the world down, we will defeat you. To those who seek peace and security, we support you.

* In this country, we rise or fall as one nation, as one people.


However, my stomach churned when this sentence crawled across the bottom of our TV screen.


* Let's resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long.


Hmmmm - “Working to put aside partisanship, pettiness and immaturity.”


Let's look back...


Was that the cry when George Bush was elected president?


Did our leaders in Washington, who did not support President Bush for president, put aside their partisanship, pettiness and immaturity when he took office eight years ago?


Not from what I have observed. The day President Bush was elected, partisanship was ramped up in an attempt to discredit him and turn our image of him into a “cartoonish bumbling idiot “.


What will happen in the future if I have concerns or questions about President Obama, and I have the audacity to express those concerns?

Will I be labeled "partisan, petty, immature" and maybe even racist?

Why is it that those who continue to discredit and question President Bush are labeled "enlightened"?


For the sake of our country

I hope a new day of civility has dawned.


For the sake of our country

I pray that unity will prevail.


For the sake of our country

I hope decency will return to political rhetoric.


For the sake of our country I hope

we will get on our knees to pray for the wounds to be healed

and the work of democracy to be successful.


For the sake of our country

I pray President Obama will be wise beyond his years,

decisive and compassionate.

No comments:

Post a Comment