Tuesday, November 11, 2008

HONORING VETERANS


"Thank you for your service to our country.
I am able to live free because of your sacrifice.
'

The above is a quote from cards my students made cards to honor and say thanks to the men and women who have fought to keep our country free. My eyes teared and my voice cracked as I tried to explain to 8 year olds that we stand on the shoulders of people who have sacrificed for us.



Many Americans do not understand freedom's price nor what life would be like if our freedoms were taken away. Daily our country is maligned by it's own citizens who scoff at the values that allow them to dissent.

My immigrant grandfather understood.
Grandpa came to America from a war torn, oppressive Germany. He knew of neighbor spying on neighbor and the lack of freedom to openly worship. He experienced the heartbreak of having loved ones imprisoned on the wrong side of the Berlin Wall and and family members who were beaten, threatened and lost jobs because they helped their children escape.

Grandpa Wilde was so proud to be an American citizen that he held a private flag raising ceremony at dawn every day and lowered that same flag with respect and honor each evening. He tolerated no disrespect for our country, flag or anyone in the service of our country whether he agreed with their policies or not. He sent beautifully penned letters to express his views when they differed from a politician while maintaining respect for the position.


How do we say thank you to generations of men and women on whose shoulders we stand? The enormity of the question stopped me from being able to write anything for this blog. Then I came across this the letter below. It was written by a veteran in response to a student asking for help on how to complete a homework assignment to "honor veterans".


Dear Student,

I'm a veteran, and I really don't think you need to demonstrate any kind of honor in the terms of physical or financial action directly. The topic of veterans could give you some cause for deep introspection.

Consider that over the years millions of men and women have stood up and said I love this country so much I'm willing to give everything I have just to ensure it's survival.

With that said, all I really want other Americans to do is to make the best of everything they have and put forth the effort to ensure this country remains the light of the world, which is has been for the past 200 plus years. Which sadly seems to lacking greatly these days.


The military has allowed me the opportunity to live in and experience the cultures of many different countries. From these experiences I have concluded that the US is the best place live without reservation.


To truly honor our veterans all I would ask anyone to do is make the best of the opportunity the sacrifices of our fighting men and women have provided. Love your country with passion, and do what you can to make it a better place.

Your friend,
A Proud Veteran

What a country!! We all have the opportunity to honor veterans
by loving our country with passion, and doing what we can to make it a better place everyday!!



No comments:

Post a Comment