Sunday, August 3, 2008

I think I can ... I think I can ...

Life with Larry is never dull!! The man has so many interests it would be hard to list them all. Lets just say he never met a sport he didn't like! He would make a great concierge because at the slightest hint of information about a NEW subject or sport, he is off on a quest to discover. I have attended, or been invited to attend countless performances by obscure musicians, some I have come to love. He talked to me for days about "Great Big Sea" and for days I wondered who would name a group "Great Big C". I confess I was not a sweet wife the night he dragged me to UB to hear them. By the third song I was hooked and had to admit it was a blast!
When we got married I was warned that I should be ready to learn about all things Canadian. Who knew curling was a sport or that there was another football league called the CFL? After fourteen years of being married to the man, I have been to both the Tim Hortons Brier and the Scott Tournament of Hearts. However, I can't say I went to the first one willingly. What fun could it be sitting in a cold arena, watching people push stones on ice and then sweep the ice behind the stone? I don't even like sweeping at home. Surprise, Surprise!! There is a lot of beautiful tradition associated with curling!! I am also quite well versed in CFL culture, enough to know that if you are a true Hamilton Tiger Cats fan you will never support the Toronto team! You are probably wondering what all this Canadian Sports culture has to do with steps.

On our recent trip to San Francisco, our plan for the day was to eat at the Fog City Diner, catch the next Hop on Hop Off bus and go to the SMOMA (art gallery). Unfortunately, we had to wait for the diner to open so we headed down the street to Levi Park. Across the street Larry spotted the first step of the 400 steps to Coit Tower. So much for our plans, Larry wanted to climb those 400 steps!! "How bad can it be?" he wondered aloud. I caught him checking my expression out of the corner of his eye. Now keep in mind I had already indicated that climbing 400 steps to any tower was not my idea of a good time. Truthfully I have no idea how the man talked me into starting up that trek, but start we did.

Once again (do you see a pattern) I wasn't a very sweet wife. Larry started his encouraging banter early - "we can do this- we'll take it slow". He even stopped to call his parents from the steps- I'm sure to give me a break. As we walked, I counted steps - 45 - 46 - 47. Soon I began to notice small, sometimes tiny, squares or triangles of dirt that had been lovingly transformed into unique gardens. Many were vertical, with no flat patch and yet gardeners had managed to create a tiny place of beauty and tranquility among the jumble of thistle bushes and tree branches.

There were unusual nooks for doors, all angled so owners could walk on the vertical and not fall. The sideways walkways, made of stone, cement or dirt, often incorporated a small corner of the garden. There was a foot or two of picket fence here and a stick or stone wall there. A Zen-like circle of smooth stones or a garden gnome peeking around a corner added to the charm. Often a small stone bench or wall offered a place to sit. Each garden seemed to be more unique than the last. These were not manicured gardens, nothing you would send a tourist to visit, but I was captivated.

We met someone walking down the steps who lived in the area. He offered a bit of info on the gardens and added "People do what they can." About 200 steps up we discovered a magical spot. Below is a picture taken through the gate of a smallish gray house, built into the side of a cliff. Arched doorways and a bricked walkway ending with the gate made it a folktale-like setting. At the risk of being discovered and making Larry a nervous wreck, I ran to the gate - you would have too - it was irresistible! The view was breathtaking, the picture can only show you so much.
Soon we were climbing again. I was anxious to see what surprises the next garden would reveal. My encourager didn't have to work so hard and we both enjoyed the climb. The view from the top was worth it even after we discovered the bus line that dropped people off.

We met several people during the next few days who asked us what our favorite part of SF had been so far. Larry, of course, had no trouble answering - THE GIANTS GAME!! My answer surprised me. It was climbing the 400 steps to Coit Tower and seeing the gardens.

If you climb the 400 steps and look for the gardens, you may think me crazy. It wouldn't be surprising to hear "she called these gardens?" Even my trusty camera couldn't really capture the magic. Yet I found them so fascinating, captivating really. So captivating that I forgot to count steps!!

I thought of the gardeners as over comers - so many obstacles yet they succeeded.....I thought of how tiny patches of land are ignored everyday and yet here they were cherished...

... I thought of the drive we all have to carve out a "place" that is ours...

Reflecting on those 400 steps, I learn again why I am not in charge of the universe and...

... that hanging out with Larry is a great place to be for enjoying life and not just watching it go by and...

... sometimes experiences we think will be "the pits" turn out to be juicy treasures, and...

... when faced with 400+ steps of difficult mountains in our lives, God will give us gardens of beauty to help us along the way - we only need eyes to see.

P.S. We never did make it to the gallery:)

2 comments:

  1. 400? That is a lot of steps. Can't wait to hear how it went!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the newest curling fan!

    ReplyDelete