Monday, August 4, 2008

I'm not as YOUNG as I think I am!!

For as long and I can remember, Rex and Donna were looking for a cottage. Five years ago they found the perfect one!!
Rex has a place to garden - and garden he does. He even has a monster
zucchini plant this year. Donna scrapbooks looking out at the lake from a wall of windows. It is a great place for children, grandchildren and friends! Donna and Rex know how to entertain!!
Life being what it is - BUSY - we never quite seem to get together. So back in March we set the date. On August 2
nd, 2008, Larry and I would arrive at the door of the cottage, swim suits in hand.

We arrived promptly, thirty minutes late!! After a tour of the grounds we took a boat ride and someone thought it would be a good idea to go tubing! (me) I am a water baby!


At this point I need to mention our last tubing experience. Larry and I tried tubing together on Lake Pleasant. Every time we said "hit it" Larry would get up fine but rivers of water would pour over the top of me until I let go of the rope. On our final try I was laughing so hard I couldn't get my breath and my sweet husband thought I was drowning.
Back to Rushford, Rex stopped the boat and I jumped in. My first indication that I was not 20 was that the shock of hitting the water took my breath away for minute. I'm sure I was a sight from shore but I finally got on the tube ready for an adventure. Laying on my stomach and holding on to the handles instead of the rope promised to be a much better ride than the last one.
Rex, gentleman that he is, started the boat gently and off I went. Success! No water cascading on top of me. Thumbs up- I called for more speed. I was hanging on for dear life, and bumping up and down like a dead fish and having a blast, until... I slid off the tube enough so that only half of me was on the tube. The thought went through my mind- I haven't used some of these muscles like this in a long time. Finally I hit the wake and couldn't hold on and the tube went on without me. (No this is not Larry or me. Just a great picture mined from the web)
Then it was Larry's turn. He assured us he only wanted to go slow. So slow he went - for a while. Then we saw the thumbs up signal. Rex went faster. No way - thumbs up again. Rex went faster. When I saw the thumbs up for the third time I was sure it was an imposter back there. Eventually Larry succumbed to the wake and he was in the water.
We finished the day with lazy swimming and bobbing until we were shivering, a great meal, lots of laughing, hugs goodbye and a long ride home. On the ride home we talked about what a great day it had been and how hard it was to stay on the tube. One of us asked " Do you think we will be sore tomorrow?"

Sunday morning at eight o'clock it was confirmed "I am not as young as I think I am." Throwing off the comforter was painful and brushing my teeth was worse. Every muscle in my shoulders arms and neck were screaming.

I watched Larry hobble out of bed and knew he was feeling the same thing."It's a good thing we didn't go for a second ride" he said, "we wouldn't be able to move."

It is now Monday night, I am still sore but not so bad. The topic on my mind is "how long does a 50 year old have to wait to let her muscles heal before getting on the tube again?"


1 comment:

  1. Despite the pain...it looks like you all had a blast. What a great posting! I was laughing so hard at the mind picture! Don't we all think we are still 18! Oh, if only the body thought that and not just our heads.

    The picture of you and Larry is so great!

    Love you-Stacy

    ReplyDelete