Thursday, January 29, 2009

I Don't Like to Make Cards!!

Believe it or not- I really don't like to make cards. I LOVE to make all the stuff that goes on cards. But actually putting the cards together- committing to an end product is not fun for me. So the way I go about things is probably very different than most people.
First I decide what color(s) I want to work with. Then I just start and make a bunch of stuff. I keep the little pieces in muffin tins and I end up with baskets and paper plates and bowls full of flowers, shapes, squares, strips and misc.. I experiment with embossing, resist, chalk and whatever else strikes me at the moment. Sometimes I want to work with squares sometimes with circles. I keep everything handy but limit the colors.
Sometimes I run a bunch of 5 inch paper through the Xyron before I start, other times I put the cut outs through the Xyron. This set of cards were "thank yous" for my mom's funeral. I ended up making about 125 different cards. No two were the same. It was my small tribute to her. She was a paper-crafter long before anyone had heard of paper-crafting.
Once I have a bunch of stuff made, I make a deal with myself. I will decide that I have to finish 10 cards before I can "play". For some reason making the "stuff" seems like play and actually putting the cards together seems like work.
The cord on the side was tied around each card. We printed each thank you note in orange/gold, two to a page. Once the notes were cut and folded, we slipped them under the cord and attached the back sheet with a glue dot. My dad and I both appreciated being able to type rather than handwrite the notes.
Some of you practical types are wondering why I would spend time making stuff I wasn't sure I was going to use. The handy thing about working the way I do is nothing ever goes to waste. I keep all the leftovers and paper scraps in double shoeboxes. I have one box for each color.
When I was done working with yellow and orange, I put it all away in the bin. The next time I want to work with those colors I will have a head start.
The other nice thing is I can run downstairs and put a card together very quickly using leftovers. If I have forgotten an event or a celebration a handmade card is never more than a few leftovers away!!
Another time saver is to print the message on photo paper. I printed "Thank You" in several different fonts, colors and backgrounds. I usually put a border around making it easier to cut out. Then I ran the printed sheets through the Xyron before cutting.
Thanks for stopping by!!

COMING SOON!!
Valentines for kids- to make for them or with them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment