Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Off My Chest

I really don't like to talk politics. In fact I hate to talk politics. Maybe it's because politics are so divisive, maybe because there are few black and white issues, or maybe because of the emotion behind such discussions.

However, today is an important day in our nation's history. I recognize the enormous struggle and sacrifice that has allowed a black man to become president. It was moving and heart wrenching to watch tears streaming down the faces of older African Americans, wondering what all they had lived through to be standing at this place in history.

In the past few weeks I have taught my students about Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks and Dr. Martin Luther King. My eyes welled with tears as I read "Nettie's Trip South" about a young girl from the north who travels to the south and sees a slave auction where children are sold like cattle.


While recognizing the enormity of today's events, it has been a day of conflicting emotions for me.
Joy and great sadness
Pride and embarrassment
Hope and hopelessness

As I walked in the door tonight I caught the end of the Glenn Beck show as Glenn was saying thank you to outgoing President Bush. He took the risk to thank a man who has become our nations whipping boy. Below is the letter I wrote to Glenn in response to his comments.

I post this with caution, knowing many people think very differently than I do. In the current climate I often feel silenced by the "in crowd". At work, I was laughed at when I expressed my thoughts about the man ready to throw his shoes at President Bush.

It is not my wish to start a discussion only to be "unsilenced" for a few moments.


Dear Glenn,

Thank you - thank you - thank you - for taking the time on your show today to thank President Bush. You said so many things that I have wanted to say!

I do recognize the amazing shift in our culture as President Obama takes office. It is hard to imagine the affirmation felt by people who have had to fight so hard for freedom and then equality. However, I am saddened that such a great day in our nation has been diluted by those that still feel the need to malign President Bush.

As I watched the ceremonies, I tried to imagine the emotions of George and Laura Bush. I thought about what it would be like to watch the people of our great country continue to abuse my husband while at the same time talking about renewing respect for the office of the president. I wondered how it would feel to day after day wrestle with heart wrenching decisions, do your best only to be abused by the people you are working for.

My heart ached when I saw the pictures of a man ready to throw shoes at President Bush. He was in Washington to celebrate change but ready to attack. Then there was the pictures of all the shoes on the sidewalk outside the White House. What does such disrespect say to our enemies? How would the press cover such disrespect of President Obama?

My heart ached when I learned that some had taken the opportunity of "change" to chant the familiar sports chant "na, na goodbye" at President Bush. Is this putting behind us the immaturity that has plagued politics, as then candidate Obama said in his acceptance speech?

My heart ached when I listened to President Obama, who said this was a time for putting away childish things, hammer away at President Bush's performance. He struck me as an inexperienced, younger man, whose idealism allows him to discredit those who have walked the road he is about to walk.

As I watched the inauguration with my second graders, I watched people crying tears of jubilation. I too was crying for a nation that allowed the press to convince them that a moral, upstanding, caring man, one who has made hard choices to protect our country should be tried for war crimes.

My prediction is that within a year, President Obama will ask for powers that are distasteful to some. He will tell the public he needs such powers to keep our country safe. The press and the citizens will then give him a "pass" for the actions similar to those that George Bush has been vilified for.

As President Bush said to you. "No one knows what it takes to be president of our country." He's right!! President Obama may want to reconsider some of his words from his speech today once his finger is on the trigger and it is his decision alone which way to go.

As much as I have wanted to to be angry, as I have wanted to pound my fists about the double standard that exists in the press , as I have wanted to confront those who maligned President Bush for 8 years and who now want me to fall in line behind President Obama, I am reminded that Martin Luther King believed that only LOVE would overcome.

I believe, it is George and Laura Bush who have exemplified the values of Dr. King during this transition, President Obama has mentioned this himself. The Bush's have been gracious while being abused. They have been loving and helpful while being mocked and worse. They have been dignified and affirming of a new president who at times has overstepped his position.

I too, choose to respect and pray for our new president. I will pray for his success and safety. I will pray for the wounds in our country to be healed and for change on Capital Hill. While I hate the childish actions of the very people calling for change, I have to believe that in the end, LOVE is the only choice for those who really want change.

So again, thank you for having the guts to salute a wonderful, honorable man at a time when it has become fashionable to slam him. In a climate where hating President Bush makes you part of the "in crowd", you took the risk to share your heart. Thank you for saying what many heartland Americans would like to have said on this important day.

Sincerely,
Sharon L. Markell-Fien

4 comments:

  1. I could not agree with you more about discontentment with the lack of respect that was given to President Bush. He didn't sneak in the back door to the White House. He was elected, by you and me and a whole other bunch of people. We put our eggs in his basket- and if we don't like what he did with them, well, that's fine. But he did the best he could in the conditions that he served in. I watched him walk side by side with Laura and the Obama's, saying goodbye to the nation he SERVED, selflessly, and had tears in my eyes. I could not imagine walking one day in his shoes and am filled with gratitude for the eight years he gave to you and I. And as for Obama, I too, will pray for him and celebrate his successes.

    Hmm... and on another note, you certainly are one of my mothers. This apple did not fall far from the tree:) I love you and have been wanting to get the same thing off of my chest all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue ... you do not know me. I stumbled on your blog from a friend in Facebook. don't ask me who ... because I am not sure I can remember. I do want to say how wonderful it was to read your words today. How many times I have heard how much of a "villain" President Bush was and still is according to our society. Even in the new Presidents first day it was paraded in front of us how wonderful his first decision was to limit access to our government employees from lobbyists. There was no mention of the fact that President Obama's actions were almost identical to President Bush's 8 years ago ... and the list goes on and on.

    What was and is wonderful about your comments is the fact that President Bush is a great man with a heart for the LORD. He made mistakes like all of us. But he carried the torch for who we are and what we all wish our country could be. Now we mist sit and watch as things will change. We too have made mistakes and now we must find a way to stand for what is right and true and what follows our Constitiution.

    Thank you also for being willing to teach the kids of a second grade class ... you are amazing because of what you do!

    ReplyDelete