Tuesday, July 22, 2008

"Company Eyes"

"Company Eyes"
~~ When did that happen? I wonder how long it has been that way.


Why is it that when you are getting ready for company, your eyesight suddenly improves? You begin to see the scratches in the woodwork and you wonder when that happened. The splitting seams in the wallpaper suddenly become visible and the tomato sauce that has dried in a puddle under your stove becomes a beacon of mess. AND you notice that the ceiling in the hallway is peeling all around the light fixture.


My two older sisters are arriving on Thursday. They are both organized, detail orientated and neat. Some how I missed the give away of those qualities!! Now my "company eyes" are seeing many things I have missed for months!


"Company eyes" remind me of having "spouse eyes" or maybe "parent eyes" or "kid eyes". One person sees the laundry basket at the top of the stairs waiting to be taken down, the other one doesn't. One person notices the minute scratches in the paint on the new car, the other doesn't. One person notices that the garbage needs emptying, the other one doesn't. One person notices that the big game is on at 7 and the other one doesn't.


The bottom line is that we see what is most important to US at the moment. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could see with "God Eyes" all the time? To see what is important to Him through his eyes.


I know one thing for sure, we would see people differently. We would see their needs rather than their faults. We would see their wounded heart rather than their annoying habits. We would see them through the eyes of perfect love. We would also see ourselves differently ~ perfect in His eyes.


I guess "company eyes" isn't such a bad thing. It is good to have heightened awareness at times but we would go crazy if all we could see every day were the imperfections in our surroundings. I pray that I can block out the imperfections of others and see them with "God Eyes". After all their toothpicks of imperfection are nothing compared to my logs.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, to have God eyes! I so long for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile. I think we're somehow living in the Spider Zone. I get up and find a new web nearly every day...but Beth sees them all and the cob webs too.

    ReplyDelete